Located in the heart of Ashbourne is the Town Hall, or more correctly the Market Hall. Built in 1861 it is a fine example of one of the few Victorian buildings still in existence in the town. It is faced with ashlar stone and its decorations including balcony and stone pediment which bares the date 1861 and the names of the trustees; are typical mid-Victorian.
Formerly the site of the old Talbot Inn which is mentioned in Izaak Walton’s and Charles Cotton’s ‘The Complete Angler’ the Town Hall is the civic home of Ashbourne Town Council. This beautiful and spacious building is also available for public use.
Throughout the years Ashbourne Town Hall has been used for various functions from weekly dances and meetings, plays, coffee mornings and gatherings and a plethora of sales fairs and bazaars.
With the addition of being a licensed premises there is a working bar and it is also licensed for the Solemnization of Matrimony. Maybe unknown to younger generations and those new to the town, Ashbourne Town Hall has three main function rooms and a selection of smaller rooms to satisfy most requirements.
Located on the ground floor is the Main Hall and upstairs are the Ballroom and the Marion Abbott Suite. There is a small kitchen and toilet facilities including a disabled bathroom. Access to the upstairs for those who need it is by stair lift at the rear of the building. Conveniently situated opposite the Town Hall is the Market Place Car Park.